1. What is the Florida Market Assistance Plan and what services do they offer?
Authorized by the Florida Legislature in 1985, the Florida Market Assistance Plan (FMAP) is a free and convenient property insurance referral service.
FMAP offers the following free services:
- FMAP Online Referral Program is an online referral program, www.fmap.org, that matches consumers seeking personal residential property insurance with licensed agents and insurers offering coverage in Florida.
- FMAP Direct Referral Program is a hotline that provides consumers direct agent referrals when seeking commercial residential, commercial nonresidential and liability insurance.
Note: FMAP is not available for workers' compensation, employer's liability, malpractice or motor vehicle coverage.
2. How can I find property insurance in the private market?
Registering with FMAP matches your insurance needs with licensed agents who can help you find property insurance in the private market. There are two ways to register:
- Online at www.fmap.org
- Call 800.524.9023
3. How does the online referral service work?
When you register, FMAP sends your property information to participating agents. Agents will contact you if they are able to help you find private-market coverage. They will gather any additional information needed to provide you quotes from private-market companies. Agents who receive your information through FMAP cannot place your policy with Citizens.
4. Where can I find additional information about agents that contact me about my property quote request?
You can use the Licensee Search feature through the Florida Department of Financial Services (DFS) or you may call them at 800.342.2762 for additional information on specific agents.
5. Where can I go to find the property information needed to register my property with FMAP?
You can find most answers on the declarations page from your current homeowners policy or from your local property appraiser.
6. Why does FMAP’s online referral service only connect me with local agents instead of providing quotes or insurance?
FMAP is only a referral service. FMAP is not an insurance company. Its online referral service works by matching you with local agents who can secure coverage from Florida-authorized insurance companies writing personal lines policies in your area.
7. What types of properties are eligible for FMAP registration?
FMAP’s online referral service is designed for personal residential property; however, FMAP does offer direct referrals for commercial residential, commercial nonresidential or liability coverage. FMAP is not available for workers' compensation, employer's liability, malpractice or motor vehicle coverage.
8. Can I still request quotes if my “need by” date has passed?
You can update your need-by date at any time. Click the link provided in your confirmation email, or use the Search tool located on the FMAP Consumer page. After opening your request, select Update Need By Date. Select the new date and click Save.
9. What if I no longer need FMAP?
If you found coverage through FMAP, contact the agent to update your property quote request. If you did not find coverage through an FMAP agent and no longer need assistance, you can withdraw your request.
10. How do I withdraw my request?
To withdraw your request, access your account in one of two ways:
- Click the link provided in your confirmation email.
- Use the Search tool located on the FMAP Consumer page, which will take you to the Retrieve Application page. Enter the property and email address associated with your request, then select Retrieve.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Withdraw Application.